COVID-19 VISITATION PROTOCOLS
In accordance with state and CDC guidelines and to ensure the health and safety of members, visitors and staff, Mohonk Preserve has instituted several important protocols for visitation, including:
- Please recreate close to home to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Visitors are required to wear face coverings upon entry.
- Visitors are required to maintain at least a 6-foot distance from others.
- No congregating or large groups.
- Offering touchless transactions with credit or debit cards.
- The Visitor Center is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Other trailheads will be open daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for members and from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. for day-use visitors.
- Trailhead parking lots will be closed and gated at 7 p.m.
Activities permitted at West Trapps: Walking, Hiking, Running, Cycling, Climbing, Bouldering
This parking lot fills VERY early on peak weekends. On summer and fall weekends, arrive early to ensure a parking space at West Trapps. Or park at the Visitor Center lot and hike up the East Trapps Connector to the Trapps cliffs and to the beginning of the trail and carriage road network.
Take the New Paltz exit 18 off of the NYS Thruway. Go 7 miles west (through New Paltz) on Route 299 to the end: make right on Route 44-55. The Preserve Visitor Center will be 1/2 mile on your right. Go 1.3 miles past the Visitor Center, and turn right into parking area.
A short, easy walk takes visitors to the beginning of trails you can take that will lead you along the cliffs along Undercliff Carriage Road or up to summit views from Preserve lands or onto the neighboring lands of Minnewaska State Park Preserve or the Mohonk Mountain House.
During the busy fall season, visitors may wish to consider alternate travel routes. For a list of options, click here.
Photo: The Trapps from Millbrook Ridge by Gerald Berliner