Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor-supported nature preserve, is seeking energetic people who love the outdoors to fill part-time/seasonal positions as:
Seasonal Grounds Worker - FT April-November
The Mohonk Preserve helps to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. The Preserve manages 8,000 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY through four integrated programs – Conservation Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection, and is a regional model for large-scale conservation planning. We have an annual budget of $4.6 million, 38 year-round staff, over 450 volunteers, and a diverse support base of over 16,000 members.
We have a strong Land Stewardship department with Facilities and Grounds staff working closely with Rangers and Trailhead Assistants. The Seasonal Grounds Worker is supervised by and works closely with the Facilities & Grounds Foreman. We are seeking a team member with a collaborative work style and experience in facilities and maintenance. The primary responsibility for the Seasonal Grounds Worker is to assist with the operation and maintenance of the Preserve’s infrastructure focused on carriage roads, trails, trailheads and open fields. The seasonal employment of this position is expected to work up to 40 hours per week not to exceed 1000 hours for the season of high visitation and warmer weather – April through November.
This seasonal full-time position demands a diverse set of maintenance skills including:
- Knowledge, experience, and skills in road and trail maintenance
- Basic knowledge of building maintenance (carpentry, plumbing, grounds keeping), ability to use common tools such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches
- Ability to operate tractors with implements, and small landscape tool operation (mowers, chainsaws, etc.); sawyer skills preferred Ability to take direction coupled with ability to work independently and as a team member.
Additional requirements include: Ability to perform strenuous labor for the duration of the workday, NYS driver’s license; capable of driving a manual transmission; ability to pass driving record and general background check; early morning work; and the ability to manage multiple projects efficiently.
- Starting hourly between $12-14/hour dependent on skills and experience.
- Shared staff housing available.
- Excellent work environment with access privileges to Mohonk Preserve and the Mohonk Mountain House resort.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Justin Key, Associate Director of Facilities & Grounds
Mohonk Preserve, P.O. Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561
By email: email@example.com By Fax: 845-255-5646
For more information - Phone: (845) 255-0919 ext. 1250
Position open until filled.
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes a diverse pool of applicants.
Banner photo by Gerald Berliner; Above photo by Kate Schoonmaker