Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve, is seeking a land protection professional to fill the position of:
Seasonal Facilities & Grounds Assistant
About the Position:
We have a strong and collaborative Land Management & Facilities team that maintains Mohonk Preserve lands and infrastructure while balancing our commitment to conservation with recreational access. The team manages over 8,000 acres including 30 miles of historic carriage roads, 40 miles of trails, five trailheads, a visitor center, and many historic and recreational facilities. The critical work of our team facilitates access to healthy outdoor activities and conserves the natural environment for future generations. We are seeking dependable team members who love working in the outdoors.
The Seasonal Facilities & Grounds Assistant (SFGA) helps to maintain the facilities and grounds of the Preserve. The SFGA is charged with assisting with the maintenance of the Preserve’s buildings, infrastructure, trailheads, carriage roads, trails, and open fields. The SFGA is responsible for completing all assigned tasks with minimal supervision in a professional manner. The expected work time is seasonal, 30-40 hours per week April through November.
Seasonal, Temporary, Non-exempt
Starting wage: $15 -$17 per hour
- Grounds maintenance includes but not limited to mowing, trimming, edging, path maintenance, weeding, raking, pruning, snow/ice removal, and other seasonal grounds maintenance tasks.
- Perform a wide variety of maintenance duties related to landscaping and stone roads such as moving equipment and machinery, mowing, cutting of brush, trees, and/or repair outdoor structures.
- Inspect tools and equipment on a regular basis to ensure the safety of self and others. If applicable, perform preventive maintenance on equipment and tools associated with assigned tasks.
- Maintains public access areas including litter pick-up and garbage removal. Assist with the clean-up of trash and debris from building exteriors, parking lots and grounds.
- Cleans Visitor Center, restrooms, and trailhead CXT’s (pit toilets) on a routine schedule.
- Combination of training and experience which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities or High School Diploma or equivalent and 1 to 2 years of experience in labor-intensive maintenance work
- Valid NYS Driver License
Desired Skills and Experience:
At Mohonk Preserve, our priority is finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all the qualifications or have a less traditional background.
- Knowledge, experience, and skills in facility maintenance, landscaping, and grounds maintenance
- Knowledge, experience, and skills in gravel road and trail construction and maintenance
- Experience in the operation of landscaping equipment such as a zero-turn mower, tractor, chainsaw, chipper, backhoe/front-end loader, grader, and other related equipment
- Experience & ability in safely using small landscape tools (mowers, chainsaws, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of building maintenance and use of common tools
- Organized, dependable, reliable, and punctual
- Polite, “people first” customer service & communication skills, along with attention to detail, are of critical importance
- Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license; capable of driving a manual transmission; ability to pass driving record and general background check
- Ability to perform strenuous labor for the duration of the workday
- Ability to work alone for extended periods of time outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Committed to Mohonk Preserve’s mission and values
- Has knowledge of/or willing to learn the Mohonk Preserve and Mohonk Mountain House carriage road and trail network
- Computer skills – ability to use email, Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom)
- Have a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) to ensure that all people are respected and welcomed at the Mohonk Preserve. This includes participating in ongoing education and other work the organization undertakes to develop and incorporate these principles
- Willing to work irregular hours including weekends and holidays
- Bonus Skills:
- Chainsaw certification a plus
- Minor carpentry, plumbing and general building and equipment maintenance skills
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. This position is primarily an on-site, outdoors position. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Potential for flexible hour
- Sick time/Overtime
- Mohonk Preserve membership for duration of position
- Access to lands and activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
- May use a computer and keyboard
- Must be able to hike at least five miles with some elevation gain while carrying 20 pounds
- Frequently works outdoors for extended periods performing strenuous physical labor in all weather conditions
- Standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, lifting, carrying equipment, negotiating step ladders, lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment
- Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
How to Apply:
POSITIONS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Email a statement describing why you want to work at Mohonk Preserve, work history, and 3 work references (include phone and email) to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please include “Seasonal Facilities & Grounds Assistant” in the subject line of email.
Or by mail to: Seasonal Facilities & Grounds Assistant, Mohonk Preserve, PO Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561
Or call 845-255-0919 ext. 1251 if you have questions
The anticipated start date of this position is April 2023
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
Banner photo by Gerald Liddelow