Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve, is seeking a dependable team member to fill the position of:
Seasonal Environmental Educator (PT – HOURLY)
About the Position:
We are seeking an environmental educator who loves the outdoors and enjoys sharing nature with children and the public. The Preserve has exceptional environmental education programs for all ages, including in-school programs, field studies, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), public and teen programs, and more.
Reporting to our Director of Education, our Seasonal Environmental Educator is responsible for leading outdoor education programs and hikes, ensuring the safety and supervision of program participants, and delivery of outreach programs to schools, libraries and the community. Organizational and positive interpersonal skills are a must. This non-exempt position is seasonal and part-time from March 20-December 31, 2023. If successful, there is potential to return for an additional 10 months.
- Teaching – $17/hour
- Housing may be available, if needed
- Ensure the safety and supervision of program participants, outdoors and indoors
- Serve as a role model for Mohonk Preserve’s stewardship ethics and philosophy of environmental education
- Train to deliver outreach programs to schools, libraries and the community
- Lead outdoor environmental education programs and hikes
Desired Skills and Experience
At Mohonk Preserve, our priority is finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all the qualifications or have a less traditional background.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, natural sciences or related fields OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience teaching/working with children outdoors
- Ability to plan and implement fun, educational hikes and activities
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills including comfort communicating with all ages and other staff
- Have a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice to ensure that all people are respected and welcomed at Mohonk Preserve. This includes participating in ongoing education and other work the organization undertakes to develop and incorporate these principles
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle required
- Bonus skills:
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English)
- Knowledge of the natural and cultural history of the region
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. Working hours to be coordinated with supervisor.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask while working indoors CDC Mask Guidance. Regular testing may be required for the unvaccinated. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID-19 protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
- Must be able to hike at least five miles with some elevation gain while carrying 20 pounds
- Frequently works outdoors
- May require standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment
How to Apply:
Resumes will be accepted with letter of interest and 3 professional references for contact (include email addresses and phone numbers). Applications must be received by January 25, 2023. Email to email@example.com
The anticipated start date of this position is March 20, 2023
No phone calls please
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.