Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor-supported nature preserve, is seeking energetic people who love the outdoors to fill part-time/seasonal positions as:
Trailhead Assistant – Seasonal; Part-time
Mohonk Preserve, located in Ulster County, NY is a non-profit organization whose mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. The Preserve manages 8,000 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains through four integrated programs – Conservation Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection, and is a regional model for large-scale conservation planning. We have an annual budget of $4.4 million, 33 year-round staff, over 350 volunteers, and a diverse support base of over 16,000 members.
We have a strong and dedicated Visitor Experience department and Ranger staff. Trailhead Assistants work in the Visitor Experience department and report directly to the Associate Director of Visitor Experience.
The essential responsibilities include:
• Welcoming Preserve visitors at trailhead entry points and collecting fees; selling Preserve memberships.
• Provide visitors with information and directions as they enter the property.
• Candidates must have knowledge of the Mohonk Preserve and Mohonk Mountain House carriage road and trail network.
• Being organized, friendly, outgoing, diplomatic, reliable, and punctual.
• Enjoys being outdoors.
• Good communication and customer service skills. Bi-lingual preferred.
• Ability to read maps and orient visitors.
• Ability to make sales transactions. Experience working with credit card machines.
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook or similar email application as well as Internet.
• Knowledge of the Preserve’s mission, geography, and location of adjoining attractions to the Mohonk Preserve is essential.
• Valid driver’s license, good driving record, proof of insurance, ability to pass background check.
• Weekend and holiday work required.
Compensation: Compensation: $13.50-$15.50/hour; Preserve membership for the duration of the position
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes a diverse pool of applicants.
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
Banner photo by Gerald Liddelow