Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve, is seeking an enthusiastic media professional to fill the position of:
About the Position:
Reporting to our Director of Marketing & Communications, our Media Associate will assist with a wide range of marketing and communications initiatives, including traditional, social, new, earned, and owned media. Working closely with the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Media Associate is responsible for advancing the initiatives of the department in support of the Preserve’s mission and Strategic Plan.
As a core member of the Marketing & Communications team, you’ll have the chance to grow the Preserve’s online brand and develop content seen by thousands of loyal and engaged members, visitors and supporters. You’ll craft daily social media content, promote special events, maintain the photo archive, manage the website, grow the Preserve’s base of supporters, and find innovative ways to increase Mohonk Preserve’s brand visibility on social media. As a key member of the Marketing & Communications team, you’ll work in a collegial and integrated manner with all departments. With oversight and in coordination with the Director, you will occasionally supervise Preserve volunteers.
We are seeking a communications professional with experience managing commercial social media platforms and websites. Knowledge of the natural world, love of the outdoors and a sincere interest in the mission, members and supporters of Mohonk Preserve is essential.
Full time (40 hours per week), Regular, Non-exempt
Low $40s per year; Mohonk Preserve membership for the duration of the position.
Media – (50%)
Plan and execute social media posts.
Actively monitor and strategically engage in emerging social media platforms.
Collaborate with other departments to highlight their work.
Promote Preserve events and programs on social platforms.
Leverage measurement/analytics tools to provide regular progress reports.
Conduct A/B and other testing to improve social media effectiveness.
Maintain press clipping files and distribute relevant news items to staff and Board.
Maintain and facilitate staff access to the photo archive.
Research and provide photos for staff and in response to media requests.
Communications – (30%):
Planning and Oversight:
In collaboration with the Director of M&C, create and implement the annual Marketing & Communications Plan.
Assist in maintaining a consistent brand identity throughout the organization.
Provide editorial support, including proof reading.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Marketing & Communications or Executive Staff.
In collaboration with staff, manage and update Preserve website content.
Monitor Google Analytics and provide regular reports to assess website metrics.
In collaboration with the Director of M&C, create and distribute quarterly Ridgelines e-newsletter.
In collaboration with the Director of M&C, create annual Year in Review.
Collaborate with Volunteer Photographers and Conservation Programs staff to develop annual calendar.
Collaborate with Program and Development staff on the creation and distribution of e-blasts.
Marketing – (20%)
In collaboration with the Director of M&C, develop print and online advertising materials.
In collaboration with the Development department, support special events marketing and promotion.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Media OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum two years of experience in marketing, media, communications, or a related field.
- Passion for the outdoors and knowledge of the natural world with specific knowledge of the Mohonk Preserve lands and environs preferred. Local area knowledge helpful.
- Demonstrated ability developing accurate, creative, and engaging content across social and digital platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) for businesses or organizations.
- Well versed in current digital and social trends and best practices.
- Strong oral, visual and written communications skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and interests.
- Ability to work cooperatively and efficiently with diverse partners in a deadline-driven environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and related apps (One Drive, SharePoint, Teams, Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Skilled in working with graphic software (InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite).
- Experienced in website management.
- Knowledgeable/experience with managing databases and/or image archives.
- Ability to work cooperatively and efficiently in busy office.
- Proven ability to set and implement priorities and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude that promotes teamwork within the organization and a favorable image of the organization.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
- This position requires some physical activities such as hiking on outdoor trails with varied terrain.
- Valid driver’s license required, good driving record, proof of insurance, ability to pass background check.
- Bonus skills:
- Pardot/Salesforce experience
- Mac experience
- Adobe Bridge experience
- WordPress experience
- Familiarity with environmental and/or land conservation issues
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. Mohonk Preserve offers hybrid work schedules at this time – coordinated with their supervisor and depending on the job, staff may be able to split time working remotely, as well as in the office and in-person on the land. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor.
- Health, Life, Disability Insurance
- Dental & Vision Plans
- 403B Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Annuity available upon hire
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Paid Vacation and 12 ½ paid Holidays
- Sick Time (60 days) and Personal Days (3 days)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistant Program
- Comp and Flex Time
- Access to lands and activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask while working indoors, including in all Preserve facilities and while working outdoors in situations where they cannot maintain social distancing. Regular testing may be required for the unvaccinated. In addition, at this time and until CDC recommendations change, all staff in counties the CDC identifies as having “substantial” and “high” COVID transmission rates must wear masks indoors (unless alone in a closed office) and outdoors in situations where they cannot maintain social distancing regardless of vaccination status. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
- Frequently sits for long periods of time
- Frequently uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
- May require standing, walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, sample of social media work, and 3 professional references (include phone and email) by November 12, 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The anticipated start date of this position is January 3, 2022.
No phone calls please.
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.