Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve, is seeking a land protection professional to fill the position of:
Land & Boundary Steward
About the Position:
As Land & Boundary Steward, you’ll be responsible for the physical patrol, maintenance, and documentation of a portion of Mohonk Preserve’s nearly 80 miles of fee property boundary, as well as the conservation easements in the Preserve’s portfolio, and related tasks.
We are seeking a land protection professional with working knowledge of mapping programs and tools – current ESRI ArcGIS applications (required); other mapping tools, e.g., Gaia, Avenza, (preferred) and ability to read and evaluate the landscape. The Steward will prepare written monitoring reports for all sections of fee boundary and conservation easements monitored in accordance with Mohonk Preserve and Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices. This position reports to the Land Protection & GIS Manager.
Part-time; Seasonal; Non-exempt
- $18/hour for a maximum of 600 hours
- Housing is available, if needed
- Inspect, witness, document and maintain Preserve fee land boundary and other land parcel lines to
affirm actual boundaries with historic/legal records, and to prevent unauthorized trespass, occupancy,
or other encroachment
- Prepare written boundary monitoring and/or baseline data reports for fee owned lands and
conservation easements of the Mohonk Preserve in accordance with Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices
- Conduct site visits and prepare documentation to support conservation initiatives
- Assist with maintenance and management of property files, survey files and GIS data
Desired Skills and Experience
At Mohonk Preserve, our priority is finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all the qualifications or have a less traditional background.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Environmental Science, Land and Natural Resource Management,
Forestry, or other related fields of study desirable/preferred OR equivalent combination of education
- Working knowledge of mapping programs and tools – current ESRI ArcGIS applications required
- Ability to read and evaluate the landscape (i.e., tree blazes, stone rows, rail and wire fences,
hedgerows, corner monumentation, signage, flagging, etc.)
- Ability to effectively use map and compass, land surveys and aerial photos for navigation and
interpretation of the landscape
- Ability to use technological tools for fieldwork, including two-way radio equipment, cameras, GPS, and various mobile applications
- Have a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice to ensure that all people are respected
and welcomed at the Mohonk Preserve. This includes participating in ongoing education and other
work the organization undertakes to develop and incorporate these principles
- Driver’s license; ability to pass background check required
- Bonus skills:
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English)
- Experience with mapping tools, e.g., Gaia, Avenza
- Experience with a non-profit land trust or other land resource agency or comparable field of work
- Knowledge of Land Trust Alliance (LTA) Standards and Practices
- Knowledge base of the natural and cultural history of the region
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. This position will be based out of the Preserve’s Daniel Smiley Research Center (DSRC) on the grounds of the Mohonk Mountain House resort. Mohonk Preserve offers hybrid work schedules at this time – coordinated with their supervisor and depending on the job, staff may be able to split time working remotely, as well as in the office and in-person on the land. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor.
• Direct Payroll Deposit
• Mohonk Preserve membership for duration of position
• Access to lands and some activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve
requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask per CDC guidelines CDC Mask Guidance. Regular testing may be required for the unvaccinated. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID-19 protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
- Ability to traverse and navigate deep, back-country, off-trail land conditions of varying, sometimes
extremely rugged, mountain terrain while carrying equipment for up to 8 hours at a time
- Frequently works outdoors
- May require standing, walking, hiking, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
- Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around
How to Apply:
Applications accepted via e-mail only. Please submit as a single PDF: cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three professional references by 5PM EST March 17, 2023 to:
Include in subject line “Land & Boundary Steward”
The anticipated start date of this position is June 5, 2023.
No phone calls please
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.