COVID-19 VISITATION PROTOCOLS
In accordance with state and CDC guidelines and to ensure the health and safety of members, visitors and staff, Mohonk Preserve has instituted several important protocols for visitation, including:
- Please recreate close to home to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Visitors are required to wear face coverings upon entry.
- Visitors are required to maintain at least a 6-foot distance from others.
- No congregating or large groups.
- Offering touchless transactions with credit or debit cards.
- The Visitor Center is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekends.
- Other trailheads will be open daily from 7 a.m. to sunset for members and from 9 a.m. to sunset for day-use visitors.
Activities Allowed at Visitor Center: Hiking and access to Climbing and Bouldering via East Trapps Connector Trailhead
To reach the Visitor Center located at 3197 State Route 55, Gardiner, NY, take the New Paltz exit 18 off of the NYS Thruway. Go 7 miles west (through New Paltz) on Route 299 to the end: make right on Route 44-55 and then 1/2 mile to the Visitor Center on right. If that lot is full, continue a few hundred yards farther up hill to the entrance to additional, overflow parking lots at the Visitor Center.
Leaving from the Visitor Center, the ¼-mile East Trapps Connector Trail is a strenuous set of stone steps leading visitors uphill to a network of more than 100 miles of carriage roads and trails and to the West Trapps climbing cliffs. Please note that the East Trapps Connector Trail is closed during the winter.
During the busy fall season, visitors may wish to consider alternate travel routes. For a list of options, click here.
Photo by Gerald Berliner