COVID-19 VISITATION PROTOCOLS
In accordance with state and CDC guidelines and to ensure the health and safety of members, visitors and staff, Mohonk Preserve has instituted several important protocols for visitation, including:
- Please recreate close to home to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Visitors are required to wear face coverings upon entry.
- Visitors are required to maintain at least a 6-foot distance from others.
- No congregating or large groups.
- Offering touchless transactions with credit or debit cards.
- The Visitor Center is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Other trailheads will be open daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for members and from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. for day-use visitors.
- Trailhead parking lots will be closed and locked at 7 p.m.
Mohonk Preserve has five main trailheads: One in the Northern Preserve (Spring Farm), one in the Mohonk Preserve Foothills (Testimonial Gateway), and three in the Southern Preserve (Visitor Center, West Trapps, and Coxing). You can reach nearby New Paltz via a Trailways bus, and taxis are available, but there currently is no public transportation from New Paltz to Mohonk Preserve.
Please note: Mohonk Mountain House is a separate property and resort adjoining the Preserve; it is not a Preserve trailhead. Questions regarding the Mountain House should be directed to their information line at (845) 255-1000 or (800) 772-6646.
Trail Maps: Maps of the Preserve are available at no cost to members and visitors at our Visitor Center and at all trailheads. Click here to view suggested hikes with PDF printable maps.
The Shawangunk Trails Map (Three-map set, map #s 104, 105 & 106) by New York-New Jersey Trail Conference are also available for purchase at the Nature Shop in the Visitor Center for $11.95.
Download Trail Maps to Your Mobile Device: Bring a digital trail map with you on any mobile device. Trail maps from the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference are now available on Apple iOS and Android devices using the Avenza Maps app. This free app allows you to purchase regional maps (recommended New York-New Jersey Trail Conference map #s 104, 105, 106), pinpoint your location, and track your route. View Trail Conference maps on AvenzaMaps.com or click here to learn more.
Rock Climbing Guidebooks: The Climbers Guide to the Shawangunks: The Trapps (revised 2nd ed. ©2016) by Dick Williams is available for purchase at the Nature Shop in the Visitor Center for $34.99.
Download Gunks Apps Rock Climbing Guide to Your Mobile Device: Bring a digital guidebook with you on any mobile device. Gunks Apps climbing guidebooks are now available for purchase for Trapps Routes, Nears Routes, Trapps Bouldering, and Nears Bouldering.
Photo by Stephen D. Stewart-Hill