School and community groups are welcome to enjoy the land and its over 65 miles of trails and carriage roads, for both educational studies and recreational hiking.
Preserve Guided Field Studies - Scholarships Available
Available weekdays seasonally, the Preserve’s field study offerings will give your class the opportunity to explore nature through fun, hands-on activities led by an experienced Preserve Educator. Choose a field study outing to meet your group's interests and goals. Our award-winning eduation programs meet the New York State Learning Standards and can be tailored according to your needs.
For more information, see our guided field study program descriptions, fees, and scheduling.
Self-Guided Group Visits
A group is defined as 10 or more people, with a maximum of 30, including leaders. A discounted group rate is only available for youth groups (under 21 years of age) visiting on weekdays (Mon-Fri). All adult, weekend, and holiday group visits operate on a first come, first served basis and are subject to our standard day entry fee ($12 per person). Please see "Group Requirements" below for guidelines to ensure that your group has a fun, enjoyable, and safe visit.
WEEKEND AND HOLIDAY Group Visits Operate on a First Come, First Served Basis (discounted rate is not available)
Mohonk Preserve does not issue group permits or offer group discounts on weekends or holidays. At these times, no more than 30 people may hike together as a group. Access is on a first come, first served basis. There is no pre-registration. Buses and vehicles larger than a 16-passenger van are not permitted at the Preserve on weekends and may be turned away. In addition, group biking and group horseback riding are not allowed on the carriage roads and trails of the Mohonk Preserve at any time.
WEEKDAY Youth Group Visits
Youth groups (under 21 years of age) interested in receiving a discounted rate must apply for a permit at least ten business days in advance. Groups must be affiliated with a recognized organization. The weekday discounted rate for youth organizations eligible for a group permit is $6 per person (the regular day pass fee is $12). Group permits are issued on a first come, first served basis. Complete the application and liability release form and mail it, with payment, to the Mohonk Preserve. We issue permits by email. We greatly appreciate your reading the information below and making sure your group can meet Preserve requirements before applying for a permit. Discounts are not available for adult hiking groups or group climbing; to arrange climbing group visits, see our climbing page. In addition, group biking and group horseback riding are not allowed on the carriage roads and trails of the Mohonk Preserve at any time.
Every group must have an appointed leader and end-of-line “sweep.”
Please note: Group leaders need to:
- have basic map-reading and navigation skills, take responsibility for route selection, and be familiar with the Preserve. If possible, scout the hike prior to a group visit. (Scouting passes for group leaders are complimentary.)
- maintain a pace suitable for all members to ensure safe behavior and that everyone in the group stays together at all times.
- present the group permit at trailhead for access and carry it with you as identification while on the land (we cannot admit groups without a group permit).
- maintain a minimum adult-to-child ratio of 1 to 8 for children’s (under age 18) groups.
- enter and exit Preserve land at designated trailheads (Spring Farm, Coxing Kill, West Trapps, or the Visitor Center) and visit the section of the Preserve for which their group permit has been issued.
- travel on marked trails and carriage roads. Groups may not visit Mohonk Mountain House property (note that the Lemon Squeeze and Skytop Tower hikes are on Mountain House land).
- split into smaller groups that take different routes to different destinations if a group has more than 30 people.
And please remember, respect nature and the land by carrying out everything you carry in!
For more information, contact Kim Tischler, Education Coordinator, at email@example.com or (845) 255-0919 ext. 1234.