2018 Rock The Ridge
The Rock The Ridge race committee and Mohonk Preserve staff have been hard at work with the image of over 400 people rocking the ridge floating around in our heads. We have been prepping like crazy to make sure you have the best day possible filled with awesome vistas, new friends, and lots of special moments to remember for a lifetime. We can’t wait to greet all of you but first, to ensure you are ready please take the time to read the full pre-event details.
See you on May 19th,
Jon and Mark
Important Changes for 2018
- We are going cupless! While we will have limited cups on hand, please bring either a hydration system or a collapsible cup available at most outdoor equipment retailers. We will also have collapsible Rock The Ridge water bottles available for sale for $5 at the Visitor Center during race-packet pick up on Friday, May 18th. Water bottles will also be available for sale at the Visitor Center from 9 am – 5pm on May 19th.
- Bag drop will only be available on race morning.
- There is now a 4:00pm cutoff time to start leg 3.
- As always, finish line food is free for participants but will now also be on sale for guests.
- Printable, detailed maps of each leg are now available here. For the tech savvy, the maps can be imported into the Avenza app for real-time navigation of the race course.
- In an effort to provide additional benefits to our participants and maintain our pledge for a sustainable event, we are providing our Ridge Rockers with a Digital Event Bag! Click here for exclusive offers for Rock The Ridge participants.
- PR Timing will be BETA testing live tracking this year. If family and friends are interested in tracking your progress, they can do so through this link.
As always, Mohonk Preserve will host a pre-race dinner at its Visitor Center on Friday night, May 18th at 6:00pm. The dinner is no cost to registered runners (just show your race bib), and is $15 for guests. However, since space is limited, you must register in order to attend.
Most of you are aware that registration for the dinner has been ongoing since last week, and although there is a cap on the event, there are still some slots left.. In the interest of allowing as many race participants as possible to join, please limit your number of guests to one (1) when registering.
Parking and Shuttle Busing
The parking area for the shuttle to the start, Spring Farm and Lyons Road is at the Ulster County Fairgrounds at 249 Libertyville Road. Volunteers will be there to direct parking. See the course guide for a detailed shuttle schedule, stops and further instructions.
Please note that there is NO participant or spectator parking or drop off at the start/finish area on Gatehouse Road or the Lyons transition area at any time. Parking is permitted at Minnewaska and the West Trapps and Spring Farm trailheads but there are access fees charged there. Participants will be given 2 Mohonk Preserve passes that will allow their guests to park for free at West Trapps and Spring Farm trailheads.
Please consider using the free shuttle service instead for easy course access, and to reduce congestion.
Shuttle bus service will run throughout the day along the Rock The Ridge course. Relay participants are strongly encouraged to arrive early to take the shuttle bus to the start of their leg at either Spring Farm or Lyons Road. Plan on at least a 30 minute trip to Spring Farm and 45 minutes to Lyons Rd.
You may check-in at the Mohonk Preserve Visitor Center on Friday, May 18th between 12 pm and 6pm or at the start area on race morning from 4:15-5:45am for those doing the full 50 miles and until 9am for those on relays. At check-in you will be given your t-shirt and bib and will be required to sign the USA Track and Field waiver if you haven’t already done so electronically. You can sign the waiver ahead of time here.
For those running in one of the 50-mile divisions, we permit you to check a drop bag at the start area, which will then be transported for you to the Lyons Rd aid station for your use during each of your two passes through there. If you plan to check a bag, please be sure it is weatherproof, and also labeled in advance with your name, telephone # and most importantly, your Bib #. The bottom of your bib will also have a tear off with your name and bib number that you must pin on your bag.
Please limit your bag size to what would be accepted in a plane overhead compartment (22”x14”x9”).
For your reference, the 50-miler bib list is at the bottom of this page. (Note: Drop Bag check does not apply to the Relay division.)
In addition to our two major aid stations at Spring Farm and Lyons Rd (twice) that start legs 2, 3, and 4 you will find seven other minor stations. All stations have water, Gatorade, and *Clif products while the major stations also have medical support, Endurolytes, soda, pretzels, nuts, peanut butter crackers, M&Ms, and make-your- own PB&J sandwiches. In addition Lyons Rd and the finish line will feature hot food catered by Main Street Bistro.
*So you can train with what we will have on course here are the Clif products and flavors:
- Builder bars (Cookies&Cream, Chocolate, Chocolate PB, Crunchy PB)
- Nut Butter Filled (Banana Chocolate PB, Blueberry Almond Butter, Caramel Chocolate PB)
- Clif Shots (Citrus, Razz, Mocha +50mg caffeine, Double Expresson +100mg caffeine)
- Clif Bloks (Strawberry, Mtn Berry, Cran-Razz, Spearmint, Citrus, Ginger Ale, Orange +25mg caffeine, Black Cherry +50mg caffeine)
If you anticipate finishing the race any later than about 8:8:00 pm (which equates to 14 hours race time), you will need to pack a headlamp or high-powered flashlight to light your way over the final miles. Please don’t forget, as there are no stadium lights out there on the ridge to light your way!
Race Details / Participant Guide
You'll find more race information, including prior results, race weekend schedule, final check list, safety protocols, spectator tips, and award details in the 2018 Participant Guide. You're encouraged to read it thoroughly prior to race day.
Thank You For Supporting Mohonk Preserve's Mission!
The event has already raised well over $85,000 for Mohonk Preserve this year, and we still have a week of fundraising yet to go! We can’t thank you enough for all your efforts to support the Preserve’s mission of protecting the Shawangunk ecosystem, preserving the cultural landscape in harmony with its history and heritage, providing education for children and adults, and promoting responsible recreation and quiet enjoyment of the land on which you will be spending the day.
See you at Rock The Ridge!
Rock The Ridge Endurance Challenge
50-Mile Participant Bib List for Bag Marking
(If you are a recent registrant and don’t see your name here, please note that the bibs were pre-printed last week and additional bibs will be available for late registrants during packet pickup.)
Thanks to our 2018 Rock The Ridge Sponsors:
Banner Photo by John Aylward