ROCK THE RIDGE April 30, 2016
Congratulations on accepting the challenge to take on Rock The Ridge! This is a decision that you will remember with pride, and we're extremely excited to have you involved in this spectacular event.
Now for the nuts and bolts about how to take part.
The 2016 race will be held on April 30, 2016, and just as last year, is divided into three primary divisions:
- Team 50-Mile - Teams of two, three, or four persons cover the entire course together, this is the core division, the one that is the primary identity of Rock The Ridge. Team members will cross the finish line as a group, in the same fashion as the popular television program "The Amazing Race."
- Team Relay - Two- or four-member teams in which members will complete the course in relay fashion. Relay legs are not of equal distance, allowing teams to assemble runners of varying degrees of experience and ability.
- Individual 50-mile - Individuals complete the entire 50-mile course.
|Division||Thru November 30, 2015||Dec 1, 2015 to Mar 14, 2016||After Mar 14, 2016|
* - Fees are per person, not per team
The registration fee is for each participant in all divisions. This fee covers all race amenities, including takeaways such as a participant t-shirt, a finisher's medal, and a post-race meal. It does not cover the charitable component of your entry. You may register in any of the above divisions, although you may only participate in one of the three. That is to say, you may not register in both a Team division and the Individiual division.
As a participant, your financial commitment is as follows:
- A registration fee (see above fee schedule) for each participant in all divisions. Registration fees are used to cover the cost of the event. Please understand that these fees are non-refundable.
- A minimum charitable fund-raising commitment of $250 for each participant, which you will guarantee with the same credit card you use to pay for the registration fee. When you tell friends, family, and co-workers that you’re taking on a 50-mile challenge and doing something to preserve our environment for future generations, they will proudly sponsor you. Donations are tax-deductible and go directly to the Mohonk Preserve, which is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. To the extent you raise less than $250, your credit card will be billed for the shortfall on April 26, 2016.
In order to allow the necessary time for validation and processing of all registered teams and individuals, the deadline for both registration and completion of your fundraising is 11:59 p.m. on April 26, 2016.
- This year, all funds raised from Rock The Ridge charitable contributions will directly benefit the Preserve's award-winning Environmental Education programs. For over 25 years, the Preserve has been providing innovative education programs that have gotten over 100,000 children into nature. Our many diverse programs and events offer something for everyone, from recreationists to naturalists-at-heart, supporting lifelong learning and strengthening connections to the land.
- Fast facts about the Preserve's Environmental Education Program:
- The Preserve protects nearly 8,000 of the Shawangunk Mountains and serves as a living classroom for kids in the Environmental Education programs.
- The Preserve created NatureAccess, a nationally recognized program that promotes inclusion of people with disabilities into outdoor programming. Not only is this practiced at the Preserve, but it is taught by the Preserve to other nature centers, including several national parks.
- Educational programming is expanding to provide at-risk, inner-city kids throughout the Hudson Valley the opportunity to experience the natural world, free of charge.
- Studies show that kids who experience nature have lower rates of obesity, do better in school, and display fewer behavioral problems.
- In Fall 2014, the Preserve launched two exciting new education programs:
- The Preserve is piloting a new outdoor education program for at-risk youth from the San Miguel Academy of Newburgh in Newburgh, NY. Thirty students from low-income families who attend this tuition-free, independent, faith-based middle school for boys will enjoy a unique opportunity to experience innovative new lessons developed by Preserve educators focused on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) principles and techniques.
- Our innovative Junior Ranger program seeks to engage teens in nature through immersive experiences in the Shawangunks. Teens will learn Wilderness First Aid and Leave No Trace practices, while cultivating their leadership, teamwork, and creative problem-solving skills. Graduates from these educational programs will carry with them an emerging knowledge of the skills required for a career as a ranger, naturalist, or natural resource educator, and the confidence to exploer the great outdoors.
- In 2015, your fundraising will support the expansion of these and other Preserve's Environmental Education programs!
The registration cap for Rock The Ridge is 650 runners, which is an aggregrate total across all three divisions. Be sure to register early to secure your spot!
Participants in the New York Road Runners' Team for Kids program, please enter the code TFK2016 in the "Special Registration Code" box in the "Participant Info" section of the registration form.
Participants in the Team Red, White & Blue program, please enter the code TRWB in the "Special Registration Code" box in the "Participant Info" section of the registration form.
Click here to REGISTER ONLINE TODAY.
Registration fees are non-refundable. Registered participants may withdraw from the event at any time prior to the event and this will cancel their minimum fundraising commitment, but they will not receive a refund of their registration fee.
Check out these other great Preserve running events: